Pages

29 July 2010

Have you experienced it before? - Déjà vu

How to said it? I’m not a skeptic but not a believer too. I felt I had déjà vu before.

It happens when I was around 10 to 12 years old. It was during one of the school days and probably noon or early afternoon.

I have strong feelings that tell me, “What I am doing here? I did this before. I had seen this too. I came here before. Somebody call my name when I was here last time.”

But this can’t be true because this is my first time going to recreational park nearby my school. In fact, it is the only time I had such deep and engaging experience. I can still recall the strong feeling I have at that moment till today.

I do not know whether my mind made a fool of me or not.

There is a lot of explanation for the occurrence of déjà vu in the net.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Déjà vu (pronounced /ˈdeɪʒɑː ˈvuː/ ( listen) DAY-zhah VOO; French: [deʒa vy] ( listen), "already seen"; also called paramnesia, from Greek παρα "para," "near, against, contrary to" + μνήμη "mēmē," "memory") or promnesia, is the experience of feeling sure that one has witnessed or experienced a new situation previously (an individual feels as though an event has already happened or has happened in the recent past), although the exact circumstances of the previous encounter are uncertain. The term was coined by a French psychic researcher, Émile Boirac (1851–1917) in his book L'Avenir des sciences psychiques ("The Future of Psychic Sciences"), which expanded upon an essay he wrote while an undergraduate. The experience of déjà vu is usually accompanied by a compelling sense of familiarity, and also a sense of "eeriness," "strangeness," "weirdness," or what Sigmund Freud calls "the uncanny." The "previous" experience is most frequently attributed to a dream, although in some cases there is a firm sense that the experience has genuinely happened in the past.[1]



I may not write this post if not for the occurrence of déjà vu again. This time, it’s not place but a person. Let call her Jane, Plain Jane. She’s a colleague of mine.

I felt I met her before in a petrol station (somewhere, it’s either Mobil or Esso). The funny fact is I don’t pump petrol in both Mobil or Esso. This time, the experience isn’t as deep as the former but my heart keep saying, “I saw plain jane in petrol station. Yes, I saw her before in petrol station”. It’s fleeting and weak moment but repetitious all the time.

I’m confused but I do believe there is something I can find from this confusion.